Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 2 hr 0 min
Serves:8 to 10 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (virgin)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped bell peppers
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 quarts chicken or beef stock or canned low-sodium chicken or beef broth
- 4 cups cooked red beans, pureed in a food processor
- 1/4 cup dry sherry (water)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, bell peppers, salt, cayenne, black pepper, and bay leaves.
- Cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are wilted. Add the stock and beans, stirring to mix well.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until the mixture is smooth and creamy, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Just before serving, add the sherry, green onions, parsley, and hot sauce. Remove the bay leaves.
Serve hot in soup bowls.