In order to make Thai food you will need:
- Knowledge of the procedures involved.
- A great recipe
- The use of hot spices, such as chilies, paprika, turmeric, ginger, curry and garlic
- Thai Food is Made With the Tongue. The first rule of thumb when making Thai food is to make it with your tongue. This means that the taste is the way to decide how much spice to put into any food. There are four degrees of hot and this is done with chilies and hot peppers. Learn also how to balance the hot, sweet and the sour.
- Learn Not to Measure. Unlike traditional American recipes Thai cooks measure with their eyes. A learned chef or cook may use a cupped hand to measure how much a few tablespoons are. As you get experienced in cooking Thai food you too will learn to cook by sight.
- Ingredients in Thai Food Cooking. Many American and foreigners do not have access to Thai chili peppers or curry leaves. Many online sites have similar or alternatives available. Red cayenne or jalapenos can be substituted for the Thai chili peppers and then adjust for the hotness. Here is a list of some Thai food ingredients: basil chili peppers, cilantro, coconut milk, curry paste, fish sauce, soy sauce, lemon grass, tamarind, turmeric, palm sugar, shallots and shrimp, garlic and ginger pastes.
- Cooking Equipment. It is fairly cheap to cook Thai food as your main ingredient is a wok and a metal spoon. A wok may cost from four dollars on up. There are some very expensive stainless steel woks that cost more.
- Meals and Food. Unlike Middle Eastern food that has one main course meal; Thai food usually has many dishes along with rice. Traditionally a table is set with many foods and then plain white rice is added. Basic fried rice (recipe below) is traditional in most restaurants and homes. To learn how to make Thai food, go to a local and family owned small Thai restaurant and sample the original food.
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup meat (see variations below)
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 hot Thai chili peppers (jalapenos will substitute)
- 1 tomato thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons coriander, chopped
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- Heat the oil in your wok. When the oil is very hot put in the meat of your choice (vegetarian fried rice is also excellent).
- Stir fry the meat until done and then remove the meat from the wok and set aside. Next fry the egg and scramble and then remove and set aside.
- Add in the veggies and cook until tender. Add in the rice (needs to be day old or very dry) to the veggies along with the soy and fish sauce.
- Quickly stir fry all the ingredients. Add salt and pepper to the stir fry. Test the rice to see if more seasoning is needed.
- Add the egg and meat back into the fried rice. Some will desire to have a whole crispy fried egg on top opposed to having one inside the rice itself.
- Put the rice on a serving plate (this recipe is enough for two people). Garnish with the chopped green onion, sesame seeds and coriander on top.
- Place the sliced cucumber around the outside edges of the plate. This wonderful Thai food recipe should be served with Thai tea made with milk.
Photo by Photo Bucket gypsymommy.